You Can Identify With Loadshedding Frustrations And Its Negative Impact On Airbnb Guests.
Today I want to make a bold statement!
We can moan and groan, we can accuse and curse. But as you know it’s useless. We prefer to look for solutions rather than waste time fighting the madness of the past.
Even if the future has its risks only the most pessimistic amongst us will not agree when I say the clouds have a silver lining. Let me stop dreaming…
Today we received a note from a guest who booked one of our homes, saying,
Current guests, mostly foreign, moan and groan as the lights go out.
But it gets worse. Read what this host had to say and the consequences.
And Airbnb’s response….
You may think Airbnb has gone wild. They should not have given a refund. Well, yes. They are in control. They do these kinds of things. And while they have no real opposition they will continue. So, let’s not focus on what is out of our control.
We have to fix what we can fix. We have a choice to eliminate guest’ objections; remove the disruption caused by load-shedding.
As load-shedding fears get televised more and more guests will decide on staying where there is very little disruption.
I recommend we fix it as soon as possible and in the most cost-effective way possible.
What can we do about load shedding hassles as Airbnb Hosts and Owners?
- We update our rules to notify all future guests we have load shedding.
- What do we say to guests already booked? We need to decide. Tell them and they may cancel. Don’t tell them and they may cancel on arrival with no time to resell the dates.
- Get the best cost-effective backup solution to cover the home’s power basic needs for three hours.
What is meant by the most cost-effective power backup for limiting the frustrating load shedding to your Airbnb accommodation?
Guests want to be distracted watching TV, working on their phones, watching a streaming sports channel. And one light would be great.
But take the power away and they look for a scapegoat. One way to release frustration is to give your home a negative review.
Now, I can hear you may say, “they are on holiday and should be out and about, they can do social media back at home!”
Forgive me but, after very many years, listening to these kinds of jokes I am not really interested in countering this objection. It’s a dumb argument. Guests vote with their money. And if this is how some owners feel then you’ll feel it in your pocket. 😳
Now that I have that out of the way let’s continue……
I’ll suggest a solution to limit frustrations. It’s not a green off the grid solution. Those are 4 or 5 times more expensive.
We need backup power to cover at least 3 hours in a 24 hour period. We suggest power to the following only:
- A single light source.
- Internet modem.
- DSTV or similar.
- Charging phones – although we suggest all things that need charging be done before load shedding.
To limit the investment further we suggest a power back solution to our Airbnb accommodation as follows:
- One battery or more depending on the needs. Batteries can be added later as well.
- Batteries are charged using Eskom power when available. Therefore we don’t include solar panels. It can be done but will increase costs.
- An inverter to provide power from the batteries.
- A plugin and play system. Meaning a power backup system that is relatively mobile. This may allow us not to have to register power back with the local government. And no fancy electricians need to wire the kit.
How much will such an Airbnb power backup system cost?
Allow me to set the scene before I tell you the cost.
If we get a two-week cancellation when someone arrives due to the lenient Airbnb allowing it due to load shedding you will potentially lose a lot more than the investment in a power backup system. An investment to not only protect your income but potentially increase it (more on this later).
With that out of the way…..
There are very many options and you can do your own homework. I can share with you two simple options.
- Option one: The basic unit is 1400Kva to support 720 watts of draw. A single 12v battery will supply the configuration mentioned (Tv, Wi-Fi, DStv, etc) for 3.5 hours. Installation’ is ridiculously simple. At R7650 for the battery and inverter kit. Dedicated deep cycle batteries. Recommended. . BTW: If load-shedding gets worse it’s pretty cheap to add another battery.
- Option two: 2,4Kva (24v) lasts for more than six hours. R11800. This includes the inverter and two deep cycle batteries. See below for more on batteries. Really nice to have for long shutdowns but potentially too much.
Installed at your home with a dedicated manual on how to use it. For example, you do not want the ditsy one to stick a hairdryer in there and stuff the kit up. At the above costs. Obviously prices may fluctuate a little.
Let’s have a look at the inverter and batteries.
Silver-Calcium Deep Cycle batteries
They may look exactly like car batteries – but car batteries simply could not stand up to the requirements of load shedding.
Only a heavy industrial battery will last.
You can get Lead Acid Deep Cycle batteries – but if their charge drops below 50% when you use them, you damage them – and the damage is cumulative each time it dips under 50%.
Even if you don’t damage them, all you’ll get is 200 to 300 uses and that’s it for the battery.
This is why the experts only use Silver-Calcium Deep Cycle batteries – they keep on going-and-going – electricians predict for thousands of recharges.
1.4 Kva (12v) or 2,4Kva (24v): Pack the good looking inverter out of the box, plug it into the wall, plug your media center and other electronics into it – and…
VOILA!! Just like that, load shedding becomes a meaningless non-issue.
Not only do guests have no more objections, but Airbnb also has no reason to refund them and most importantly….
Your home will stand-out, for now, amongst the darkness called load shedding.
How Do You Not Only Protect Your Airbnb Income But Rather Increases It?
I did a google search “Airbnb Loadshedding” and it’s no surprise two Airbnb listings in Cape Town advertise their accommodation as free from load shedding. As
And if guests have to choose will they choose your Cape Town Airbnb with a load shedding unhasseller or the quiet and dark house next door?
You bet they will choose your home. And potential not only protect your income but increases it. Did I say this before?
In these dark times, we don’t cry. We do what we can. Today. Not only does the backup power supply insure you against costly refunds you are a winner amongst the blind others who lag behind. Sounds familiar? Good things can be repeated 😁