Airbnb No Parties Or Events Policy is Great News For Hosts Who Follow These 9 Tips.
Airbnb No Parties Or Events Policy is great news for hosts.
As of August 20, 2020, Airbnb announced a global ban on all parties and events at Airbnb listings. This party ban applies to all future bookings on Airbnb, and it will remain in effect indefinitely until further notice.
Hosts who allow unruly guests to throw loud parties can have their listing suspended or removed from the site entirely.
No Parties! No Extra Guest!
Let’s discuss the 9 tips that Airbnb hosts preventing disruptive behaviour during overnight stays.
It is important that you set clear expectations; “you party or if you are more people than booked you are out! No refund. And Airbnb can choose to take legal action”.
The Background: Airbnb No Parties Or Events Policy
The first question to ask is: Why did Airbnb stop parties and events?
- COVID-19 and large gatherings: Airbnb has announced they will no longer allow for event-friendly listings and have removed house rules from those previously allowing them. As a standard rule, Agency.CapeHolidays never allowed parties or extra guests. But this was never well communicated by Airbnb to guests.
- Bad publicity and creating supper Covid events: After a few nasty newsworthy incidents, like the one party at a USA Airbnb that attracted more than 700 people it had to stop.
- Neighbours Are Affected: Nothing is as unkind as an unruly mob pumping out sub-hoover music throughout the night with shrill screaming laughter piercing a peaceful neighbourhood. No.
- Damage Control: Party makers are normally young, their mother may have booked the accommodation and arrive in droves when no one is paying attention. Because they are who they are they don’t care and can cause damage. No.
The New Airbnb No Parties No Events Policy
“Quiet” is the word of the week for Airbnb hosts. And Airbnb is reviewing high-risk reservations alread made.
No more renters under 25 from booking at all. Excellent.
Guests who are reported for throwing a disruptive party or violating Airbnb rules are subject to suspension or removal from Airbnb’s platform. In some cases, guest reviews left after such parties may be removed.
Occupancy cap at 16 max people accommodated at one address. Meaning; if you have a 20 sleeper you are allowed 16 only.
Airbnb may also remove listings if they determine that a host has authorised a party that violates this policy.
If Airbnb receives reports that a listing is disrupting the surrounding community, Airbnb may request that the host update their rules or suspend the listing for 30 days.
Hosts should not advertise their space as a party-friendly location, nor should they allow parties at all. Or gatherings larger than 16 people.
Listings that violate Airbnb’s party-ban policy through the listing description, photos, or house rules may have their listings suspended until that violating content is removed.
If Airbnb finds out that a property has violated this rule, it may suspend the listing for up to 30 days. A host must update their listing with an explicit rule stating parties and events aren’t allowed.
What is an Airbnb Party House?
It’s important to keep in mind what Airbnb define as a “party house”; “party houses” – are listings that create persistent neighbourhood nuisance. This means, to me, if a house, even unintentionally, draw party crowds it may be scrutinised.
How Can Airbnb Hosts Prevent Their Homes To Become “Party Houses”?
Action from Airbnb: Guests will be informed about Airbnb’s party rules and informed that they may be legally pursued by Airbnb if they violate our policy. This work is currently being operationalized and will be rolled out in the near future.
What Hosts Can Do To Enforce The Airbnb No Parties Or Events Policy?
Last week I spoke about hosts setting expectations for departure at the initial arrival stages of interaction with guests. Be strict, friendly, accommodating but firm.
I suggest the following to ensure hosts are on the good side of the new Airbnb No Parties Or Events Policy:
9 Tips Unpacked:
- Set up an automated message thanking the guest for the reservation AND include NO PARTIES. No Extra Guest!
- Increase the length of stay. One night, 2 nights just invite parties. 3 nights are better but to keep a good medium between over the top. We prefer 4 nights. Going from 4 to 7 nights is not really going to have an impact. Ref. 5 and 6.
- Setting expectations by telling the guest up arrival, “Unfortunately parties and events are out! And no extra guests. Airbnb said they will close your account, and they may suspend this house. If you want to invite friends, let me know. If not too, Airbnb will cancel the booking with immediate effect“.
- Host AIRBNB rules must clearly state NO PARTIES. No Extra Guest! And the possible consequences.
- Involve the neighbours. Get goodwill. An angry neglected neighbour will harm the experience for a run of mill peaceful guests who may encounter the aggrieved neighbour.
- Use technology to assist: For larger homes, sleeping ten or more, and homes with very sensitive neighbours I suggest the Minut Non-Intrusive Noise Alert Alarm sending info via mobile app (More. Get it here from Amazon). Note: We have not used it but need to start.
- There is no excuse for the host to not informing all concerned immediately of a party or potential odd group. Get bad guests kicked out immediately – not refundable. A bad review we can handle but not a suspended home. GET THEM OUT!
- If you have the rules in place and still attract parties check your listing and make sure it’s less “party-friendly”.
- Set your rates per person; for example, if you can sleep 12 set your daily rates for 8 people then steeply increase the per-person rate after 8.
Summary: Airbnb No Parties Or Events Policy
Prep your guests with setting expectations on the new Airbnb No Parties Or Events Policy and no extra guests clearly. Firmly.
Set your rules. Today Airbnb supports hosts who do not (want to) attract parties. When you detected a party, Notify Airbnb, get them on your side and kick the guests out. And Take No Prisoners.
Involve the neighbours to assist. If, you want a higher foolproof solution, then install a device like the Minute. This will bring peace of mind and give your managing agent or host better tools.